Monday, January 08, 2007

Last Days in Paris

Paris was so amazing. The train ride was nice and they served a great meal. We did a whirlwind tour of the city in about 48 hours.

We arrived the afternoon of Thursday and first walked over to see the glass pyramid in front of the Louvre. We met up with James' cousin Elizabeth and her family who were vacationing there also. We had a great dinner in a little market area and then walked over to the Eiffel Tower. The tower was amazing and huge. People had warned me but I was still dumbstruck by how big it is! The lights were on and soon after we got there, it started its hourly light show in which it twinkles all over. It was beautiful. After that we walked along the river and saw the barges that people live on. We saw the exterior of a new museum where the walls of the building were alive - it was neat, like a terrarium (sp) there was actually grass and all sorts of plants growing off the walls of like a 6 story building. I couldn't get a picture because it was too dark. I wish we'd had more time so we could visit the museum. It is supposed to be American, African and another culture which I can't think of right now's art. The court yard had the most interesting little lighted tubes.

On Friday, my birthday, Forest slept in and James and I boarded one of those sight seeing buses that you can get on and off of. It was such a great way to see the city in a short time. We got off and went into the Notre Dame cathedral which took my breath away. James lit a candle and said a prayer for me since it was my birthday. I don't know what happened next but I was staring at the Rose Window and I was suddenly very emotional, feeling all this amazing gratitude for my life. Just thinking how fortunate I am to study the Rose Window in school and then to come and see it. How fortunate my life is in so many ways. I began to cry. It was such a beautiful and warm place. It was a very special experience.

We continued on the bus and saw the Place de la Concord, the Arc de Triomphe, and so many other beautiful buildings and streets, booksellers along the Seine. We got off at the Eiffel Tower where Forest met up with us. He so impressed me getting around on his own in both London and Paris. We all had lunch around the corner. We got back on the bus and rode it up to Monmartre where we took the steps up to the Sacre Coeur. After looking in the church and admiring the hilltop view of Paris at night, we walked to the courtyard area of Monmartre. There were portrait artists. Forest had his portrait done. After shopping around we had dinner in a little restaurant called Chez Eugene that just had the most perfect atmosphere. The decor was super kitschy and there was a two man band, comprised of a guitar and drum, who played the most happy music. Our waiter grabbed some spoons and kept time with the band as he bustled around. They played that song from Triplets of Belville. We had champagne and then a bottle of wine. The food was great. I felt very happy. This is how we celebrated my birthday!

The next morning James and I got up very early and headed to the outskirts of Paris to the St. Quen flea market. We only had a couple of hours but it was heaven! I could easily spend an entire day there. Serendipitously, the first booth I came to was selling old beads and findings. Score! In other booths I found some great old religious medals for earrings, some beautiful vintage glass cabachons that I hope to use in my silver work. It was such a successful venture.
We headed back to the hotel to check out and get Forest. We took a cab over to Arc de Triomphe because Forest really wanted to see it. We walked the steps to the top and admired the view.

Then it was time to leave Paris. We arrived back in London, packed everything and had one last meal at a restaurant nearby. Unfortunately, in my tired state I mis-set the alarm clock and we missed our flight the next morning but it all worked out because they got us on the next one. Now we are home! I have a long to-do list. I am happy to get back to my life! I was beginning to get a little homesick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home