Thursday, May 31, 2007

Exhibit and Forest's first college course

I thought this necklace up last week, made it yesterday, popped it up on the website last night and awoke to find it sold this morning. I wasn't ready for it to go. I will miss you little owl necklace! I didn't even get a chance to bond before I dropped it off at the post office this afternoon. I am sure it will be happy in its new home though. I have more owls, I will just have to make more.


Last Friday I got together with my mother-in-law, Linda. We visited the latest exhibit at the Harry Ransom Center here in Austin. The current exhibit is all about the 1920's - one of my most favorite decades. It was great, highlighting all the amazing art, literature and societal changes that happened during that decade. There was a letter from Ernest Hemingway's mother, to him, chastising his behavior. There were tons of great photographs and original manuscripts with the writer's notes in the margins. One super neat picture featured of all these ladies in their fancy full coverage bathing suit ensembles. Why can't we still have bathing suits like that? I came away with a long list of books I need to read including Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis. I really enjoyed all of the first edition books they had on display. The cover art was beautiful and inspiring. Then, at some point in the exhibit I was reminded of prohibition - it's amazing what you can accomplish without alcohol in your life! Just kidding, I know they were all drinking bathtub gin at the speakeasy. Afterward Linda took me to lunch at Bess. I had yummy crab cakes and we shared a strawberry shortcake for dessert. The food was good and the restaurant is lovely and cozy.


Today I met with a bookkeeper. Oh, I am so happy at the thought of having someone to help me with accounting. I don't mind doing it so much but sometimes I run into problems I just don't know how to solve!


My son started his first college course this evening. He is still in high school but is able to take courses at the local community college for dual credit. It was really a proud and exciting moment for me as a parent. He is taking US History I.



Oh, and one more thing, last Saturday I tagged along with my husband on an errand and we stopped into one of my favorite antique malls where I found these lovely gold charms. Can't wait to cook something up with them!

2 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That owl necklace is sweet! I can see why it sold so fast. The Harry Ransom Center is one of Austin best kept secrets, I think. I will have to go check out that 1920s exhibit. Oh, and I have a few charms for you I found as we were sorting out stuff this past weekend. Nothing fancy but could be cool in some of your charm bracelet style pieces.

-corntastico

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger tiny robot said...

Owl = Awesome!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home